Thursday, February 05, 2004

New SIP


I started a new sock on Tuesday using some Brown Sheep Wildfoote yarn I had in my stash. I had one skein of "Forget Me Knot" and one of black so I have to do contrasting cuffs, heels, and toes. The stitch pattern is from Barbara Walker's First Treasury and I adapted it to circular knitting. I also decided this was a good project to attempt my first afterthought heel. Here's what the sock looked like with the waste yarn knitted in:


And here's what it looked like after I removed the waste yarn and picked up the heel stitches.


If you're wondering why I've started the heel before finishing the first sock, it's because I did not split the skein of Forget Me Knot into two balls before I started the sock. So, I'll have to work both feet at the same time or I could run out of yarn on the second sock. Now, I didn't do this because I forgot or got lazy, but because the yarn is so loosely plied that I was unable to stop it from twisting around itself when I tried to split the skein. I really, really dislike this yarn. It's so thin and scratchy that I feel like I'm working with really rough cotton. Plus, the loose ply is completely annoying. It keeps twisting up while I knit and I have to stop and unwind it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.