Monday, February 02, 2004

Super Bowl


I can't believe the Patriots won the Super Bowl again. After all those years of watching them lose, lose, lose this is crazy. It's actually been a banner year for my sports teams. First, the Syracuse Orangemen won the NCAA men's basketball title, and now the Patriots. Too bad the Red Sox crashed and burned. I'm convinced, though, that the only reason the Orangemen won was because I was in Europe when the game was played. So, I wasn't around to jinx them. If the Red Sox ever make it to the World Series, I've already told my family I'm taking an impromptu trip to New Zealand. I think that's as far away as I can get.

Thrift Store Bonanza


I finished my red Univ. of Utah scarf while I watched DD do gymnastics on Saturday morning. Here it is:


And here's a close up:



Don't you like the pointed ends. I had the afternoon to myself so I went to a couple of my favorite thrift stores. I put $20.00 in my pocket and vowed to spend no more than that. What did I get? I found a partially felted Coogi sweater that someone had foolishly thrown into the washing machine. I felted it the rest of the way on Sunday and then cut it into squares which I'll use to make two pillows. I even got the pillow fabric at the thrift store. Here's the felted fabric:


Total cost: $3.99 for the sweater and $1.99 for 2.5 yards of fabric. Then I hit the motherlode! A brand new cashmere/merino wool men's sweater in the most fabulous shade of steel grey. That evening I took it apart and frogged it. The result -- 1.2 pounds (!) of amazing cashmere/merino yarn. And the best part is I have 4 huge balls (2 sleeves, back, and front) with no knots! The sweater set me back $4.00 which left me plenty of cash to buy the Coach! purse I spotted on the way out. It was barely used and a steal at $5.99 so I snapped it up. And, in case I thought it couldn't get any better, I snagged these fabulous MOP buttons on their original card.


All in all, a very satisfying afternoon and I even had a tiny bit of change left from my $20.00!


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.