Sunday, July 18, 2004

Yarn, Yarn, and More Yarn

The trip to Sun Valley was great. It was a little warmer than usual, but still cooler than it was in Salt Lake City. My friends and I walked into Ketchum on Friday to shop at Isabel’s, the local yarn shop. We go every year and stock up on yarns we can’t get in Salt Lake. Among other things, Stephanie got an armload of Koigu for socks and hats and Phyllis got some Mountain Colors mohair and merino ribbon for a scarf. I got six skeins of K1C2 Souffle in a nice blue-grey color.
 


It looks like it will drape nicely so it’s destined to become a shawl or poncho. I also got two skeins of Koigu and a shop pattern for a hat made from Koigu. I just loved the color:
 


While I was gone a package arrived for me from The Knitting Zone. Here’s the yarn I plan to use for my next Meadow Flowers Shawl: 

 

It’s Helen’s Lace from Lorna’s Laces in the color "Desert Flower." The color is a little too pinky for me, so I’ll probably give this shawl away as a holiday gift. I figure it’s about time to start knitting for December. Speaking of which, I started this shawl in the car on the ride home: 

  
 


It’s just a basic, drop-stitch pattern and the shawl/stole itself will be a simple rectangle with fringe on the ends. The yarn is Deco Ribbon which I bought to use for a poncho, but it seemed better suited to the drop-stitch pattern. I’ve never worked with ribbon yarn before and I don’t really like it. It has an annoying trait of twisting as you knit with it and I had to constantly untangle the ball by wrapping a hair elastic around it and letting it drop and spin. Not easy to do while you’re riding in a car (no, I wasn’t driving). I’m wondering how to block it, too. Has anyone used this yarn?? Tips, tricks??

Mini Rant

I rarely rant on my blog, but I can’t hold back today. It’s almost 600 miles to Sun Valley and back, so I saw a lot of cars this past week on the freeway.   IMHO, if you’re driving a gas-guzzling Hummer H2 or a Ford Excursion, you have no business slapping a "God Bless America" or "Support Our Troops" bumper sticker on your car.  I couldn’t stop thinking of the John Prine song, "Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore."  Oh, and here’s my favorite motel sign:
 


Finally, those of you who insist on flying filthy, tattered American flags from your vehicle in all kinds of weather, please brush up on your flag etiquette. I’ve made it easy for you, just follow this link.




Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.