Friday, September 17, 2004

Flower Basket Shawl

As promised, I'm going to reveal how I altered the Flower Basket Shawl pattern.

First, here's a close up of my Flower Basket Shawl:


(If you click on the picture, it will open up a new window with a larger picture.)

And here's a close-up of Margene's wonderful, perfectly-knit Flower Basket Shawl (upside down):


Can you tell the difference?

Margene followed the pattern which instructs you to work the double decreases as follows: slip 1, k2tog, psso
This results in a decrease that slants visibly to the left as you knit it. Therefore, the decreases slant into the center of the shawl on one side but away from the center on the other side. Call me anal retentive (I bet I get a lot of Google hits for that phrase), but I wanted my shawl to be symetrical. So I used a centered double decrease that doesn't slant in either direction. To work the decrease, slip two stitches at the same time as if to knit (in other words, insert the tip of the right-hand needle behind the second stitch on the left-hand needle and move both stitches to the right-hand needle), knit 1, then pass the 2 slipped stitches over the stitch you knit.

Barbie Poncho Redux

Hey, someone actually knit one of my patterns! Beth made a poncho for her Cher doll. The poncho looks great, but Cher looks like she could use a little more plastic surgery. Great job, Beth; thanks for sharing.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.