Sunday, November 07, 2004

Holiday Pattern List

I've had so many positive comments about my list of holiday projects to knit from 1-3 skeins of yarn that I’ve decided to leave the list on my sidebar until the end of the year. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see it on the right. Although the contest is over, if you have any patterns that you think would be appropriate for the list, please email me or leave a comment and I’ll add the link when I have a chance. In fact, Kim Salazar left a long comment with lots of great links so I’ll be adding those soon.

I knit up a quick project while I was at Disneyland but didn’t have a chance to post about it until now.



DD wanted a pair of wristwarmers to wear to the impending Avril Levine concert and I had a skein of worsted weight yarn in a wool/acrylic blend that would be perfect. But, I only had the one skein and wanted to make sure that I had enough yarn to finish them. I figured the best way to accomplish that was to knit them from the fingers down (instead of knitting the part that covers the arm and wrist first). So, I split the skein into two equal balls and cast on 36 stitches. I knit in a k2 p2 rib until the piece measured 2 inches. Then I worked a buttonhole over 4 stitches (DD has very small hands; if I was making these for an adult, I'd probably cast on 40-44 stitches and work the buttonhole over 6-8 stitches). Then I just knit until I ran out of yarn and bound off all the stitches. Actually, I stopped before I ran out since they were long enough. I repeated the process for the second wristwarmer. It's a quick knit and good practice knitting in the round on double-pointed needles. Plus, you can use up some single skeins or leftovers and not worry about running out because you can always add a contrasting color or some fluffy novelty yarn at the end if they’re not long enough. It wouldn't be possible to do that if you knit them from the arm to the fingers.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.