Thursday, November 18, 2004

New Look


I get lots of email from visitors who say that they cannot leave or read comments on my blog. I suspect it's because their browsers are blocking the comment box (which is a pop-up). Anyway, I changed the Haloscan settings so the comments open up in a window. Like it? Hate it? Don't care a rat's ass?

True Confessions


I was smitten with Cassie's post today because I have a similar confession to make. I've been knitting for almost 30 years and have only made one adult-sized sweater. Unlike Cassie, I have no fear of finishing. I've made dozens of child-sized sweaters and have assembled them without any problems. I'm also not timid about altering patterns. In fact, I don't think I've ever knit anything without altering the pattern at least slightly. My issue is more narcissistic; I'm only 5'2" tall and most hand-knit sweaters make me look utterly ridiculous.

I still have the only sweater I've ever knit and it was kind enough to pose for a picture this morning:



In addition to being the only full-size sweater I've ever knit, it is also the second thing I ever knit. The first was a pair of garter-stitch slippers. I moved on to aran sweaters before abandoning those for argyle socks. Yes, I was an overachiever in high school.

I still have the pattern for this sweater and now must also confess that it is knit from *whisper* 100% acrylic yarn. Before you condemn me let me expain: (1) It was the yarn called for in the pattern; (2) I didn't grow up in the most affluent household and I saved every penny of my $2.00-per-hour salary working in the children's room of the library for a long time to buy the yarn; and (3) Don't forget that acrylic was the rage in the 1970's.

I have started adult-sized sweaters since completing this one, but have always abandoned them for one reason or another. Most notable is the "boyfriend sweater" I began to knit while I was in law school. I'm still married to this man and I attribute that to the fact that I never finished the sweater.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.