Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Devil Made Me Do It



After weeks of enviously watching Stephanie knit fabulous mittens; gaping open-mouthed while Nanette knit up a mountain of amazing hats, socks, and gloves; and reading Cassie’s reviews of her formidable collection of mitten books, I decided to ignore the unfinished Ruffles Scarf and two felted oven mitts that I must complete before a Hanukkah party on Saturday. Instead, I started a mitten ornament for the tree.

This is the top.



And this is the side where the thumb will be placed.



I stopped when I got to the decreases because I was losing my patience and my eyesight. Maybe my diversion wasn’t so foolish after all. That scarf is looking much more appealing after a night of knitting Baby Ull at a gauge of 12 stitches to the inch on a size #0 Addi turbo.

Braid Cast On


Here's a post from May 26, 2004. I decided it was reprint-worthy because several people wrote me and confirmed that they tried it and really liked the look. Basically, it's an explanation of how to knit a braid using the tail from a long-tail cast on.

. . . . . . . . .

The first sock in the Six Sox Knitalong is the Cloverleaf Rib sock adapted to adult sizes. The pattern, as written, does not have a traditional ribbed cuff. I’ve tentatively decided to use a braid cast on to keep the top of the sock from flaring out. A braided cast on, though, uses two strands of yarn and, typically, two different colors. I wanted to use just one color and also wanted to minimize the number of loose ends to weave in at the end of the sock. So I came up with this method, which uses the tail from the long-tail cast on as the second strand.

Loosely cast on the appropriate number of stitches using a long-tail cast on method. I like to cast on over two needles held together using the twisted German technique. Leave at least a 4-5 foot tail. Knit one round. Move both the yarn coming from the ball and the yarn remaining from the long tail cast on to the front of your work. Alternate purling one stitch using the yarn from the ball and one stitch using the yarn from the tail. Each time you should bring the yarn over the top of the stitch you just made. Continue in this manner until the end of the round. On the next round, alternate purling one stitch using the yarn from the ball and one stitch using the yarn from the tail but, this time, carry the yarn under the stitch you just made. At the end of the round, bring both strands of yarn to the back of your work and knit one round plain. Cut
the yarn left from the long-tail cast on to a length that can be woven in at the end of the sock. Continue making the sock using the appropriate pattern. Here’s what it should look like.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.