Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Giving and Receiving


Since it’s that time of year, the rest of my posts this week will be about giving and receiving. Today I'll report on the receiving.

Several wonderful packages from fellow bloggers have found their way into my mailbox over the last week or so and here are the goodies.

First, I did a little favor for Chris and she sent me these beautiful, hand-made stitch markers as a thank you:



I’ve already used them twice, Chris, and they’re wonderful!

Next, Maggi sent me two cones of Bartlett yarn in a fire engine red color:



I love this yarn. It’s very similar to Blackberry Ridge yarn and it knits up beautifully. I’ve already made a felted mini Christmas stocking from it:



It took a while to felt and the color bled quite a bit, but it is soooo soft now. Did I mention that I love this yarn?

Next, I got two bars of amazing dark chocolate with orange and almonds (yum!!) from Sibylle in Germany:



Yup, you read that right; all the way from Germany. Oh, dear, it was so good that I confess to having eaten the entire first bar already.

Last, but certainly not least, Cassie sent me this lace-weight wool in an amazing shade of aubergine.



Yes, I know it doesn't look like augergine; it's just a bad picture. Trust me, this stuff is gorgeous. After the first of the year, I hope to transform it into a Hanging Vines Scarf.

Tomorrow, I'll report on the giving.

In the meantime, if you want to make a felted mini stocking, here's how I made mine:

Cast on 24 stitches using waste cotton and #7 needles.
Switch to worsted weight, 100% wool yarn (not superwash).
Knit 1 round; purl 1 round
Knit an additional 20 rounds
Work a short-row heel over 12 stitches
After the heel is complete, continue working in the round for 20 rounds.
Make a star toe.
Felt until the fabric is firm.
After the stocking is dry, remove the waste cotton one stitch at a time. As you remove the cotton, insert a crochet hook into the little holes made by the yarn and crochet a round or two with some white Fizz or Fun Fur.
The End.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.