Thursday, December 23, 2004

Giving



Every year during Hanukkah we invite my son’s friend and his family for dinner. I make an enormous number of latkes; which my kids affectionately refer to as "shiksa latkas" (try saying that 10 times fast).

Each year, I give a small gift to the mother of DS’s friend. She's half Greek and half Latino and has very dark hair and skin. This year I knit her a scarf out of Whisper yarn in dark shades of autumn colors that looked absolutely beautiful on her. Mind you, this wasn't some time-consuming knitting project that I slaved for weeks over, but it was nice enough. Anyway, she teared up when she opened it. Really. She immediately put it on and couldn't stop fingering it. We sat in my living room talking when she looked down on the floor and said, "Oh, my gosh, did you make that, too?" I admitted that I had and she gushed over it for several minutes, asking if she could hold it and literally caressing the wool.

So, I gave it to her.

Yup, my fabulous French Market Bag with the perfectly placed handles is now in the possession of a non-knitter who appreciated it so much that I deemed her knit-worthy. And you know what; I still feel really good about giving it away.

Have a great holiday.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.