Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Mini Mitten Mania


In light of the renewed interest in my mini Latvian mitten (occasioned in whole by the coveted link placed on the blog of She Who Need Not Be Named), I'll give it a little more air time.

Here's the top:



And here's the palm (trust me, the thumb is at a weird angle in this picture and looks much better "in person"):



The pattern is by Lizbeth Upitis and appears on page 50 of the "infamous" Knitter's Magazine issue #9. That's the issue with the shawl patterns which formed the basis for the book, "The Best of Knitter’s: Shawls and Scarves." It also contains the pattern for the Faroese Shawl I made my mother earlier this year.

Instructions are given to knit two sizes: "small" (18 stitches) and "larger small" (30 stitches) and there are three charted patterns for each size. I made the "larger small" size using the first chart. There really are no instructions for knitting the pattern on the palm so I just did the easiest thing I could think of. Although it’s not functional, the thumb is actually knit in the round.

The instructions suggest knitting the small size with 3 double pointed needles and the larger small size with 5 needles. I used the Magic Loop technique to knit mine and put the top stitches on one end of the needle and the palm stitches on the other end.

If you can manage to get a hold of the magazine, you should try the pattern. The most frustrating part is knitting the thumb stitches in the round, but once you've managed that, the finished mitten is pretty cute.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.