Monday, December 13, 2004

One Yarn, Two Presents


Every year, good friends of ours throw the most incredible Hanukkah party you can imagine. This year, attendance topped 43 so it was even crazier than usual. As always, the highlight is a rousing game of Hanukkah Bingo which is essentially a white elephant swap (or Yankee Swap, as we called it in Boston), except the hosts provide all the gifts. My son was walking on air because he managed to score a set of these playing cards.

The hosts have two young girls. One is my daughter's age and the other is 8. Although their mother is a wonderful knitter (she made the original Dancing Stars Felted Bag), I usually knit a little gift for each girl for her Hanukkah present. The eight-year-old has a collection of American Girl Dolls and loved the Aran sweater I made the doll last year. So, this year I made a cardigan:



Yes, I was sewing the buttons on about an hour before the party and realized I only had 4 instead of 5. I did manage to scrounge up a cute one for the top. Hard to tell, but it's shaped like a bird.

The instructions are in this little booklet which I highly recommend if you ever see it for sale:



The pattern is a neck-down cardigan and I changed I changed it slightly by working the raglan increases with M1s instead of yarn-overs.

Tomorrow I'll show you what I did with the rest of the yarn.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.