Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Hugs & Kisses Update


I may be preaching to the choir, but you knitters are fantastic!! As of this morning, I have actually received (in hand!), $421.00 from the sale of my Hugs & Kisses pattern. That's a lot of patterns!!
The entire amount (plus a little more) has already been sent to Oxfam. But, I'm happy to send more (and more, and more). So, if you haven't done so already, buy the pattern, join the knitalong; you can even make the socks for CIC. Every little bit helps!!!

You Can Only Fool Some of the People


Beth and Debi both hit the nail almost on the head. Beth, doesn't this make you two-for-two in my little guessing games? They correctly identifed the mass of yarn in yesterday's post as a felted bag. And, there's a reason why the pattern may not look familiar. It's a cross between Janet Scanlon's Oregon Tote pattern and a pattern sold by my LYS.



I changed colors at unrandom, random intervals and added a little novelty yarn here and there. Also, the entire bag was knit inside out and I even have an explanation for that. The novelty yarn is knit together with the wool only on every other stitch. When it's not being knit, it's carried across the stitch. The purpose of this is to cause it to "pop" better when it's felted. This technique works best on the purl side. I didn't want to purl the entire bag so after I knit the base and picked up the stitches, I did a wrap and turn and knit the rest of the bag inside out. This way the ridge on the bottom edge is on the inside of the bag and the purl side (with the extra novelty yarn) is on the outside.

And, yes, there were lots and lots of ends to weave in.
Don't believe me:



Shannon and Margene suggested knotting them and then cutting them after the felting was complete. And, in my OCD defense, I did try that a couple of times. But, I just wasn't happy with the way it looked so I wove in the rest.

Later this week, I'll tell you who the bag is for.



Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.