Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Yarn Source



There is a thrift store not far from my house that I discovered one day while driving home from my LYS. The proceeds from the sale of the items offered in the store are used to purchase new clothing for local, school-age children. So, I like the purpose of the organization. And, the volunteers who sort the donations do an amazing job of separating the wheat from the chaff. The store even refers to itself as the "Nordstrom of thrift stores." Plus, it recently moved into a newly constructed building so it's surprisingly clean and well-lit.

I'm always amazed when I go in there and see the stuff that people give away. For example, I was more than happy to purchase the two vintage, sterling silver Neiman Marcus Christmas ornaments that were discarded by a fellow Salt Laker. And, the 1953 Vogue Knitting magazine I picked up for 50 cents is one of my all-time great finds. But, I digress.

I stopped at this thrift store a couple of weeks ago to drop off some items my kids had outgrown and decided to take a peek at what they had inside. After confirming that there were no vintage Vogue Knitting magazines, I flipped through the sweaters. To make a long story short, I walked out with three. Two were clearly hand knit; one from Lamb's Pride Worsted yarn and the second from Cascade 220. The sad part was that both appeared to have never been worn. All that time and effort into knitting a sweater for someone who just tossed it into the give-away pile. *Sob* The recipient clearly is not knit-worthy. I felt compelled to buy them and restore some dignity to the knitter and the yarn she used. Both were top-down, yoked sweaters (a l?á EZ) and I frogged them in no time flat since they were seamless. I'm thinking the yarn will be perfect for a felted bag for the Utah Legal Services silent auction.



The third sweater was not hand knit, but was made from a wonderful cream-colored lambswool and angora blend yarn. Upon closer inspection, it was evident that this sweater had been discarded because the owner had the misfortune of placing her sleeve (avec sweater) in something that looked like tomato sauce. Quite possibly the first time she wore the sweater, too, since it was otherwise pristine. Hmmm . . . a stain on the sleeve of a cream-colored sweater. No problem; I can take care of that.



Although it took a bit longer to frog this last sweater, it yielded enough yarn to make Terri's wrist warmers and the Natalya fingerless gloves, with plenty left over.

Come back later this week and I'll tell you how NOT to clean the sleeve of a wool sweater.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.