Thursday, February 17, 2005

Scarf


To make a long story short, earlier this week I found myself faced with a deadline to knit a scarf for DD's Hebrew School teacher. Well, the fastest way to knit a scarf that I know of is to use a drop stitch. So, drop stitch scarf it was. I was also instructed that the scarf should be either mustard or wine colored. Hmmm . . . let me dive into my stash and see what I can find. Well, what do you know; I had the perfect yarn for a drop-stitch scarf and it was both mustard and wine colored. Fancy that.



Although they work up fast, I used to hate knitting drop stitch scarves until Laurie showed me a better way to do the row with the double wraps. She uses a twisted drop stitch which eliminates the need to drop the wraps on the subsequent row.

To work the stitch, you wrap the yarn around both needles, then just around the right-hand needle and complete the stitch. The extra wrap just drops off.

Here's another tip, work the double wraps every fifth row and the scarf won't have one long edge that's looser and messier than the other edge. Really.



Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.