Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Yarn Junkies Unite



I'll reveal my WIP of the week tomorrow, but today I'll tell you the yarn I used. It's the new Sock Landscape yarn from Knit Picks. I looked at this yarn online many times before I ordered some. Most of my hesitation was the product of my unflinching and overarching cynical nature. I mean, how could the yarn be any good if it's only $3.99 a skein, right?



Well, obviously I broke down and ordered some in several different colors because here you see it posing with my new Lantern Moon basket. From front to back the colors are Tropical Sunrise, Red Wood Forest, and Mesa. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the yarn itself. It's hand-dyed, 100% merino (not superwash), and feels decidedly like Artyarns merino. The hand is very smooth, almost like cotton. It's fairly strong and it took a bit of effort on my part to break it using my hands. It knit up very nicely, although the fabulous ebony needles I used may be partly responsible for that.

Although I enjoyed the yarn, the dye-job was not exemplary. I used the Tropical Sunrise colorway for my WIP and there was a lot of muddiness between the coral color and the purple. The muddiness is not as noticeable in the other two colorways because each has a fair amount of brown in it anyway.

In short, the yarn is very nice and well-worth the paltry sum of $3.99 (plus free shipping) for 50g. I would stay away from the Tropical Sunrise colorway, though, solely because of the dye issues. I should probably also add that the actual colors are very different from the little thumbnails on the Knit Picks web site.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.