Sunday, March 06, 2005

WIP of the Week


Here's my WIP of the week. Make a guess and see how close you can come to figuring out what it is.



Meme


I am so far behind on responding to comments and emails that it's not funny. So, I apologize to every who has written to me but who hasn't received a response. Unfortunately, I have no reasonable prospect of catching up so please consider this an impersonal "Thank You" to everyone who has visited my blog in the last week or so.

Part of the reason for my inability to respond is the fact that last week was nothing short of a suck-fest for me. DH has been sick so I've been trying to juggle work and kid activities by myself. Not to mention that I'm getting a little tired of having two children going through puberty at the same time. Ugh! At work, I was trying to get my boss ready for a trip but I also had to grade the Bar Exam on Friday. Our committee was short three graders so it took more than twice the normal amount of time. But, the suckiest part of my week was the automobile accident I was involved in on Saturday. I was hit from behind at a stop light by a young woman who was paying absolutely no attention and slammed on her brakes when she was only inches from my car. Needless to say, she was still going pretty fast when she hit me. But my car (a Toyota minivan) took the impact really well. If you look underneath the car, you can actually see where the crumple zones have crumpled. And, they must have worked 'cause I wasn't hurt at all. Anyway, I'm not really in a mood for crafting interesting posts for the next couple of days so I'll accept Beth's invitation and respond to her meme:

1. Do you knit continental or English?
Most of the time I knit English and I flick the yarn over the needle with my right index finger; I don’t move my whole hand. If I’m working on something really boring, like a felted bag, I’ll knit part of it Continental just to keep my attention. When I knit two-color, stranded patterns, I always knit both English and Continental simultaneously.

2. How long ago did you learn to knit?
I learned to knit was I was about 10 from a booklet (© 1968) my mother bought me at Woolworths.



I still have the booklet (obviously) and I used it to teach my daughter.

3. First FO?
A pair of garter stitch slippers from the aforementioned booklet that were knit on two needles and then seamed.



You know that ones I mean; hasn’t everyone made a pair?

4. Favorite yarn?
Mountain Colors Bearfoot sock yarn, Interlacements Little Toes, and Blackberry Ridge Kaleidoscope Yarn. My favorite reasonably priced, all-purpose wool yarn is Cascade 220. Although I prefer Jo Sharp, it's just a little too expensive for felting projects.

5. Favorite pattern?
I guess that would be my very own Almost Argyle Socks pattern. Otherwise, the pattern I’ve knit more than any other is Janet Scanlon’s Oregon Tote felted bag. Janet's bags are often copied but simply cannot be duplicated. And, I'm still amazed every time I knit a pair of the Fiber Trends Felted Clogs and they turn out perfectly. Very nice pattern.

6. Favorite pattern source?
The best pattern book I own is Knitter’s Stash. That’s where I first saw Janet Scanlon’s Constant Companion pattern. The book is a great resource with a wide variety of patterns (I also like the Meadow Flowers Shawl) and lots of good tips set out in the margins. I love to browse vintage pattern booklets for stitch patterns to insert into my “plain vanilla” sock pattern. And, I love the older Knitter’s magazines; some of them contain amazing patterns. The newer Knitter’s magazines are just awful. Anyone want to sell or trade for older Knitter’s?????

7. Favorite needles?
No hesitation here: Plymouth Bamboo double-points in size 2.25mm (U.S. #1). I don't recommend trying short-row heels without them. (Although, Beth, I did have the end of one split on me once.)

8. Nicest thing you’ve ever knit?
Well, I’m not sure what is meant by “nicest.” If it means the most beautiful, I guess that would be my Oriel Stole. A close second would be the Faroese Shawl I made last year. I did make an amazing sweater for my daughter in my pre-blogging days but I am not able to take a photograph of it. Want to guess why??

9. Most hated project?
Again, no hesitation: the Mexicali Olé baby sweater I made last year was, without a doubt, my most hated project. I knit it from cotton yarn (which I dislike) & when I got to the collar and thought that the pain was almost over, I realized the collar instructions were all wrong. Finally, because it was knit cuff to cuff, the sides seams turned out all bulky and ugly (and, for once, this was not due to my seaming technique). The recipient, however, loved it.

10. Who are you going to pass this on to?
No one. But feel free to lift the questions from my blog and post your own answers.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.