Thursday, May 05, 2005

WIP Revealed



I can't believe it; Kathy actually guessed this week's WIP. Way to go Kathy! You must be a knitting maven!

It's a Seaman's scarf; and it's knit from the same lace chart I used for the Branching Out scarf. Here's a photo right after it came off the needles:



If you've never knit a seaman's style scarf before, I highly recommend Myrna Stahman's book, Shawls and Scarves: Lace Faroese-Shaped Shawls from the Neck Down & Seamen's Scarves.
A traditional seaman's scarf uses a provisional cast-on and has ribbing at the center. This prevents the scarf from bunching up around the back of the neck. After the ribbing and the first side are knit, the provisional cast-on is removed and the second side is knit. Here's a photo I took right after I "unzipped" the cast-on and began working down the second side:



Because both ends are knit from the center downward, the patterning is not upside-down on one side of the scarf. So it's a excellent technique for knitting a lace pattern that clearly has an "up side" and a "down side." It works nicely with the Branching Out lace pattern because it means there's no "bow" at one end. See, how clever!

I also knit an applied I-cord onto this version of the scarf. It makes the sides nice and smooth. The only flaw is that it doesn't look quite perfect when it's cast off. But, I think I can remedy that when I block the scarf.

And just so you don't think I've been ignoring my Baltic Sea Stole, here's a photo of my latest bit of progress:



This thing is going to be huge!


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.