Friday, July 01, 2005

WIP Revealed



This week's WIP was my second attempt at knitting up the vintage footlet pattern so several people guessed correctly. This time I modified the pattern using the lessons I learned from knitting the first footlet.



Because I received a lot of emails about this pattern, I'll share my modifications in more detail. But, this post won't make sense unless you also have a copy of the original pattern in front of you.

  1. I cast on 28 stitches and worked 5 rows in garter stitch.

  2. I then worked 31 rows in stockinette stitch, but knit the first and last stitch on the purl rows.

  3. I turned the heel by working the first two rows as follows:
    Row 1: p16, p2tog, p1, turn
    Row 2: sl1, k5, ssk, k1, turn
    Although I didn't follow the heel turning instructions in the original pattern, there is a typo in them. It says "10th row: K 1, Sl 1, K 1, psso. K 1. Turn." It should say: "10th row: K 11, Sl 1, K 1, psso. K 1. Turn.

  4. When I was finished turning the heel, I had 18 stitches on the needle.

  5. I broke the yarn (like it says in the pattern) and picked up 19 stitches along the first side of the heel flap, knit the 18 stitches, then picked up 19 stitches along the other side of the heel flap.

  6. I then decreased pursuant to the instructions until I had 42 stitches left.

  7. I then increased pursuant to the instructions until I had 64 stitches. There is a typo in the orginal pattern at this point. It says "Next row: K 2, Inc 1 st in next st, Knit to last 4 sts, Inc 1 st in next st, K 3." It should say: "Next row: K 3, Inc 1 st in next st, Knit to last 4 sts, Inc 1 st in next st, K 3."

  8. At this point, I transferred the 64 stitches to 3, double-pointed needles and began knitting in the round.

  9. I continued knitting in the round until the footlet was about 2 inches smaller than the total length I needed.

  10. I ended by working a simple wedge toe. Although a star toe would work nicely, too.


That's it. Oh, and the yarn I used was perfect for this project. It's Jaeger Stretch yarn. Very similar to Cascade Fixation only softer and fingering-weight. The fiber composition is 96% Cotton, 2% Poly, 2% Elastic and it's put up in 50g skeins each containing 286 yards of yarn. I'm fairly certain that this yarn is not made any more, but I have quite a nice little stash of it tucked away. Hmmm . . . Maybe I should de-stash some next Wednesday.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.