Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Shawls and Obsessions


Although I have plenty of other projects I could be working on, I became obsessed this weekend with starting a new Flower Basket Shawl. I did a little stash diving on Sunday night and came up with two balls of Katia Austral. Each ball contains 153 yards of yarn. So, I only had 306 yards to work with. How big could I make the shawl without running out of yarn? Ah! Time for some mathematics.

After I knit up the first ball of yarn, I did a little calculation to figure out what percentage of the shawl was completed and what percentage remained to be knit. Here's how you do it:



I've never tried this calculation with anything other than a rectangular shawl or a triangle shawl knit from the top down with a constant rate of increasing (i.e., an average of 2 stitches increased per row), but I think it would work even if you knit the shawl from the bottom up. I've actually set the whole thing up as a spreadsheet so I was able to monitor my progess as I knit the Flower Basket Shawl.

Not that I'm obsessive or anything.

Looks like my calculation worked:



Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl (Interweave Knits magazine)
Yarn: Katia Austral
Date Started: August 21, 2005
Date Finished (but not blocked): August 23, 2005


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.