Friday, September 23, 2005

Shawl Success



Several months ago Cassie knit an extremely lovely shoulder shawl from the book, Three-Cornered and Long Shawls (Þríhyrnur og Langsjöl) by Sigrídur Halldórsdóttir. At that time, the book was out of print and copies were impossible to obtain. One of the members of our Stitch ‘n Bitch group also saw the shawl on Cassie’s blog and she brought her version to one of our Tuesday meetings. It was darling! So, I decided that I’d try to re-create it, too. I've never blogged about these next two shawls, but they were knit at some point over the summer.

My first attempt was undertaken simply to figure out the placement of the eyelet rows. I cast on the lower edge with a double strand of J&S jumper-weight shetland and just knit blindly from there. Here’s the result:



Cute, but uninspiring. Although I really love the yarn:

I decided the shawl really needed an edging. So, for my second attempt I used a
provisional cast-on and then knit a border onto the lower edge.



Aaaah, much better. I found the edging pattern on Sarah Bradberry’s wonderful lace site.

Then, my ship came in. The book was reprinted and DH got me a copy for my birthday. The long-elusive pattern was now mine for the knitting.

Presenting my WIP / FO: The Litla Hyrna Huldu Shawl



I changed the pattern only slightly. I used a provisional cast-on at the lower edge and then transferred the live stitches to my needle after the body of the shawl was completed. This was easier than using a long-tail cast on and picking up the stitches. I also eliminated the crochet edging at the top. I went up several needle sizes, too; to a size 5.5mm needle. I used nearly all of a 50g / 350 yard skein of wool from my stash. And, of course, I only used one color instead of the shades of cream and brown called for in the pattern.

What do you think; which version do you like best? I have to admit I’m actually a little partial to my attempt #2. I kinda like that it has more eyelet rows. Although the edging on the original pattern is more of a show-stopper. Is there a version #4 in my future?


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.