Monday, October 17, 2005

I’m a Finisher


I’ve been shirking my blogging duties and spending the time finishing up several projects that have been languishing in my knitting basket. I’ve also been spinning every chance I can get. So, what are the fruits of my labor?

First, I finally finished the second Spey Valley sock:



Looks just like the first; but that’s a good thing. I have to thank Lolly for this. Her Socktoberfest soiree inspired me to complete the little I had left on this sock. So, thanks Lolly! The pattern is from the book, Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush. The only alteration I made was to the length of the leg. The stitch patterning around the top of the cuff is wonderful, and I wanted to make sure that it peeked out when the socks are worn. So I made the cuff fairly short; about 6 inches instead of the nearly 8 inches that Nancy recommends in the pattern. The yarn is the Kool Aid dyed Knit Picks "dye your own" yarn that Mim gave me for my birthday. I have about 135 yards left. Lacy scarf maybe?

I also finished a scarf that I designed for Knit Picks from their Suri Dream yarn. They sent me the pattern to proof and I just knit a second scarf to double-check it:



What do you think? It only takes one skein of yarn for the whole scarf and it is easily completed in an evening or two. The pattern should be available soon. I have a feeling I’ll be making plenty of these for last-minute holiday gifts.

Finally, I made a pair of fingerless mittens for me from the pattern I designed for Knit Picks.



The mornings are getting cold here and I realized that I've given away all the pairs I knit over the summer. Doh. I used Inca Alpaca and size 2.75 needles. Oh, and I knit these in the round, not flat. Hmmm . . . I guess that means I didn't even follow my own pattern!

I also did a little dyeing over the weekend. I used some Kool Aid and the hot pour
method described in the book, Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, to dye the skein on the left. The one on the right was simply immersed in a pot of Strawberry Kool Aid.



Handling the roving, of course, inspired me to complete some spinning projects.
Remember that alpaca fleece I had processed a few months ago. It was blended with silk and Corridale. I’ve made a bit of a dent in all the roving I got back. Here’s 450 yards of some fingering weight yarn that I finished up on Saturday.



Finally, a new fiber shop opened in the Salt Lake Valley a few weeks ago. I went out last Monday to have a look around and came home with, among other things, some lovely roving, hand-dyed by Judy Jackson, a local fiber artist.



The suspense was killing me so I started spinning it as soon as I finished plying the alpaca blend.

By Sunday night I had this:



And that's all she wrote. Although I'm pretty damn close to finishing a mohair shawl that I haven't had a chance to blog about yet.

*phew*


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.