Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dyed and Gone to Heaven



Remember that recycled yarn that I reclaimed from the aran sweater a few weeks ago? Well, I finally finished dyeing all the hanks this weekend. For the last two hanks, I tried a technique that Anne described to me. I wound the yarn into hanks and soaked it in some warm water. I put a pot of water on the stove and turned the heat to "low." While the water was heating, I mixed up three packets of Berry Blue Kool-Aid in some very hot water and set it aside. Then I mixed three packets of Cherry Kool-Aid in some hot water and set it aside, too.

When the water in my pot was sufficiently hot (but not boiling), I poured the two Kool Aid mixtures into the pot, one at a time. I swirled them around, but I did not mix them thoroughly. Instead, I just threw the wet yarn into the pot and gently moved it around in the murky mixture.

What happened? Well, see for yourself:



Because the water contained varying shades of purple-blue dye, the yarn does also.

Here's what it looks like knit up:



I am really liking this! Thanks for the tips, Anne.

SOAR


So, is anyone coming to Utah for SOAR next week?????


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.