Tuesday, November 22, 2005

In Which I Describe How to Start The Hat



OK, do you have your yarn and needles? Well, what are you waiting for.

Step 2:
Cast 6 stitches onto one of the double-points using Emily Ocker's cast on.

Divide the 6 stitches evenly onto 3 of the double-points. That's 2 stitches on each needle for those of you who are math-challenged.

Join into the round, being careful not to twist the stitches. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round.

Increase in each stitch by knitting into the front and the back of the stitch (12 sts).

Knit 1 round.

Now, start the increase pattern. If you eventually switch to a circular needle, don't forget to place markers at the appropriate spots. M1R stands for "make one right" and M1L stands for "make one left."

Round 1: *k1, M1R, knit to within 1 st of the end of the needle, M1L, k1; repeat from * for each needle
Round 2: knit

Repeat these two rounds until the hat is as large as you need.
How will you know when to stop increasing? Simply check your gauge then multiply the stitches per inch by the finished circumference you desire. The result is the number of stitches you should have on the needle when you stop the increases. But, don't forget that you'll have to round up or down to get a multiple of 6.

For my hat, I'm getting 5.5 stitches to the inch and I want a hat that's 17.5 inches in circumference (it's for a child). If I multiply 5.5 by 17.5 I get 96.25 which I must round to the nearest multiple of 6, i.e., 96. So, I stopped increasing when I had 96 stitches on my needle.



Still with me? Let me know when you're ready for the next installment.

Update: I like snug hats so I usually knit them 10% smaller than the recipient's head circumference. If your head measures 20 inches, subtract 2 inches (10%) and increase until the hat has a circumference of 18 inches. This makes a snug-fitting hat.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.