Monday, November 21, 2005

In Which I Share A Hat Pattern



Like the way I stole Michaele's title format?

I have a little holiday gift for all of you. It's a hat pattern I designed that requires no gauge swatch. In fact, you are hereby prohibited from knitting a gauge swatch! Yup, you just cast on and away you go. The only catch is that it's knit from the top down, so the first couple of rounds are a little fussy to work. But stick with it; it's worth it.

I'm calling the pattern, the "Live Dangerously, Don't Swatch Hat" and I will give the instructions seriatim. Mostly because I haven't had time to write them out in their entirety. So, play along with me and come back in a day or two for the next installment. Think of it as a mini knitalong.

Step 1:
Choose a nice yarn and some appropriate needles. You'll need a set of 4, double-points and a circular needle in the same size (although, of course, it is possible to knit the entire hat on the double-points). I would estimate that you'll need approximately 150-200 yards of yarn; more if you have a big head.

Do Not, under any circumstances, knit a gauge swatch!

Come back tomorrow after you've chosen your yarn and needles.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.