Thursday, December 08, 2005

Step #4 - Time to Felt


Are you anxious to felt your gift bag? Well, there's just one thing you should do before you pop it in the washing machine.

Take a strand of worsted weight cotton yarn and thread it through the eyelets at the top of the bag. I used Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton. Tie the ends of the cotton yarn so they can't come undone, but don't pull it tight or cinch it.

OK, now you can felt. The cotton yarn will keep the eyelets open during the felting process.

After the bag is felted, you need to shape it over an appropriate-sized object. I used a container of bread crumbs that I covered with a plastic bag. Make sure you use something cylindrical with a flat bottom. It should look like this:





While you're waiting for it to dry, you should make the twisted cord for the drawstring. There are excellent instructions here on how to make a twisted cord.

Come back tomorrow and I'll show you a photo of my finished bag. Plus, I have photos of two more top-down hats. One was knit by Ann, a neighbor to the North, and it's to die for!


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.