Thursday, December 01, 2005

Top-Down Hats


More knitters wrote me with either photos or links to the top-down hats they knit from my pattern. And I knit another, too! Since I’m the queen of my blog, I’ll show mine first:



I used one skein of Moda Dea Cartwheel, which is 100% wool, but ran out before the sides were as long as I needed. So I finished the bottom edge in garter stitch with some Moda Dea Swirl. Since the gauges of the two yarns are not the same, I decreased quite a few stitches when I switched yarns. I used the alternative instructions for the top shaping, i.e., I increased by 8 stitches every other round. And don't forget that garter stitch in the round is worked as knit 1 round, purl 1 round.

Sue sent me a photo of the hat she knit but, unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to upload it to Flickr. I'll try and do that this weekend because it was really spectacular.

Kathy and Kristin left links to their hats. So go have a look.

Gift Scarf #2


After knitting the scarf I blogged about the other day, I had nearly a full skein left of the Patons Divine and Mode Dea Eden yarns. I used the leftovers to make the second gift scarf:



This one is a twisted drop stitch pattern that I knit on the bias. And I used the Eden yarn to knit a small ruffle on each end.



DD gave it her seal of approval.

Spinning


I recently finished spinning some of the roving I bought at the SOAR market. This was 50% wool and 50% mohair in a colorway the dyer called “Magenta.” I spun the first 3 ounces fairly fine. But, I didn't enjoy the process (or the roving) so I sped things up by spinning the next 3 ounces much thicker:



I washed both to set the twist and I swear the water in my white sink was so dark red that you couldn’t see the bottom of the basin. Yikes. I’m not quite as enamored with the color now since the finished yarn has a slight pink cast to it.



Still not sure what I’ll use this for, but I’m open to suggestions. I only have 100 yards of the thicker version.



Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.