Monday, January 16, 2006

B is for . . . Books



Since I joined the Stashalong, I haven't broken the "no-buying-yarn" rule yet. But, I have bought several books and I thought I'd give a little review of each this week.

First up is Nicky Epstein's book Knitting Over the Edge.



Some of the edging patterns in the book are clever, some are amazing, and some are just so-so. I'll start with the part I didn't like. With only a couple of exceptions, the section on color was weak. I've seen many of the motifs in other books (like stars, hearts, snowflakes, fleur-de-lys), and nothing really caught my eye except the sheep and the bow charts. So, I was particularly disappointed to see that this section covers a full 50 pages in the 180-page book.

The rest of the book, though, was interesting and inspiring. I especially liked the section on cords. She really takes the “lowly” I-cord to new levels. Be forewarned, however, that many of the edgings described in the book are knit separate from the garment and must be sewn onto the finished project. Some of the others require weaving in a lot of ends. I know this can’t be helped, but that’s usually enough to discourage me from trying something; especially for the edging of a scarf on which you can’t hide the wrong side.

This book is the follow-up to the book, Knitting On the Edge. I have that one, too, and prefer it to this new book mainly because it contains edgings I'm more likely to actually use for a project. The edgings in the new book are definitely more "fiddly" although, of course, that means they're more interesting visually. But I’m curious to hear from others who have both books. Which do you like better?


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.