Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Book Du Jour



Here's another recent addition to my knitting book collection,



Two-End Knitting written by Anne-Maj Ling and translated by Carol Rhoades (published by Schoolhouse Press).

Last year, Nancy Bush taught a class at my LYS on two-end knitting and I found it extremely fascinating, albeit somewhat fiddly. This book had only recently been translated and Nancy spoke highly of it so I've been meaning to buy it for a while. Because I am intrigued by the two-end technique, I may be biased in my review of this book. I think it’s a fantastic resource and it covers all the basics of the technique and then some-–including three-color knitting. Best of all, the charts that accompany the patterns are extremely large (a good thing). The only bad thing I can say about this book is that I wish it had been published in hardcover instead of paperback. I should also add that this book is very different from the book, Twined Knitting, published by Interweave Press more than ten years ago. The bulk of this book is devoted to the practical applications of the two-end technique. The bulk of Twined Knitting is devoted to a historical perspective on the technique and it's chock-full of amazing photographs of vintage mittens, hats, and jackets. Both books are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I don’t own a copy of Twined Knitting. This is the copy that I repeatedly check out from the library:



I live in fear that some day they’ll pull it from the shelf and sell it at their used book sale for--*insert audible gasp*--$1.00. Of course, if any of you have an unloved copy gathering dust on your bookshelf, you know where to find me.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.