Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Oooooh, Silk



I've been eyeing the ball o' cashmere/silk roving Beth sent me for Christmas but I've still not worked up the nerve to actually spin it. Instead, I've been practicing on bits and pieces of silk and cotton that I picked up at a local LYS. I've had the most success with some Bombax silk that was hand-dyed by Judy Jackson in the "Electric Lake" colorway. I got about 140 yards from 1 ounce of the roving:



Not quite perfect, but better that the previous attempts. I'm thinking this will make a nice Kippah for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah. Anyone have a good pattern that uses fingering weight yarn?

Stashalongers – Don’t Look!


If you’re participating in Kim’s Stashalong, don’t even think about reading the rest of this post.

I received an email from Lynn at Spinderella’s Creations the other day announcing a killer sale on her homespun yarn. Nearly every hank (approx. 100-125 yrds each) is on sale for $4.75 per hank. This is gorgeous, one-of-a-kind stuff and you owe it to yourself to take a look. Her Thrums (roving with thrums thrown in) is also on sale, for $18.00 a pound. I learned to spin on this roving and can vouch for the fact that the little slubs created by the thrums hide any unevenness in your singles. Perfect.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.