Thursday, February 16, 2006

My Albatross / Don't Read This, Gwen



Several months ago we held a wonderful scarf swap among the members of our Stitch 'n Bitch group. I knit a scarf for Eliza and I received an absolutely gorgeous one from Karen. Here's a photo of the group modeling the scarves:



The swap was such a rousing success that Michaele organized a purse/bag swap. I drew Gwen's name and spent several days searching through my pattern books for a great pattern. I found the pattern, purchased the yarn, and excitedly cast on. It took about a day to realize that I hated the project with a deep, burning passion. It's not the pattern itself (which is wonderful), but a combination of the yarn, which is a cotton blend (mental note: do not knit with cotton), and the stitch pattern which grows at a snail’s pace.

The project has become affectionately known at my house as "The Project That Must Not Be Named." I've come to view it as my own personal albatross. I'm determined to finish it, not because I’m getting any pleasure whatsoever out of knitting it, but because I’ll be damned if I let it get the better of me.

If you're still out there Gwen, now's the time to move on to the next blog 'cause I’m about to show a photo of the dreaded project.




Oh, I can't give it all away now, can I.

I have until March 7th to finish. Wish me luck.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.