Monday, March 13, 2006

Contest Winners

The winners of the Mountain Stream scarf patterns are: Vera, Ruthanne, Sue, and Colette. According to information on the Sundance Channel, the Sundance Film Festival's roots began in 1978 when,

"The first U.S. Film Festival was held in September 1978, at Trolley Corners Theaters in Salt Lake City, Utah. Organized by Sterling Vanwagenen, the first festival director, and John Earle, the then director of the Utah Film Commission, the festival aspired to be an on-going national film event, presenting a unique opportunity to attract filmmakers to Utah. The festival was built largely out of retrospective films and featured noted filmmakers, authors and actors discussing relevant social themes found in programmed films. At the suggestion of Arthur Knight, noted USC professor of film, a national competition was created to highlight emerging American made independent films; films made outside of the Hollywood system which emphasized regional stories and lower budgets. Lawrence Smith coordinated the first and seven subsequent competitions."

Robert Redford and the Sundance Institute did not get involved in the festival until 1984. So, the question was a bit of a trick but I counted all the entries, regardless of the answers.

Moving On

I'd like to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone who left me comments or sent me emails about the death of my cat, Mimi. It's been very comforting and every note is much appreciated.

The past two weeks have been very difficult for me. I tried to work on a sock on Sunday, but my heart just wasn’t in it. Mimi had a habit of sitting at my feet while I knit so it’s a bit difficult to concentrate on a project now, since knitting is a painful reminder of her absence. Instead, I blocked a shawl (more info later this week) and dyed a skein of Knit Picks yarn with Kool-Aid:



(If you click on the photo, a new close-up photo will open in a new window.)

Here’s an observation. I started with 440 yards of merino wool; when I skeined it up on my niddy noddy this afternoon, I had only 360 yards. Clearly, it shrunk up considerably in the dyeing process. I’ve noticed a lot of folks are selling beautiful, tempting, hand-dyed and hand-painted yarns that I’m fairly certain are dyed from the same Knit Picks yarn I used; i.e., the yarn information is identical to that on the Knit Picks site: "100g, 440 yards, 100% merino, hand wash, #1-#3 needle." Has anyone ever measured to see if there really are 440 yards in these skeins? I'm thinking maybe there is little or no shrinkage if the yarn is hand-painted as opposed to dip-dyed (which is what I did). Thoughts? Experience?


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.