Wednesday, March 08, 2006

E is for . . .



Encore



This is the only ball I have of this yarn and to be honest, I can't even remember why I bought it. I'm just not a big fan of acrylic/wool blend yarn; particularly blends that are more acrylic than wool. I did use some to make some bed socks for DD last year and they turned out fine. The upside to this yarn is that it is machine washable so it's good for baby clothes and afghans. It's clearly a better choice than 100% acrylic yarns like Coeur de Rouge for these items since it has a much nicer hand and the knitted fabric isn't nearly as stiff and, well, unnatural-feeling. It also doesn't squeak when you knit with it. The down side, other than the acrylic content, is that IMHO it's just a bit too loosely spun. That's the double-edged sword, of course, since I assume that's why it's softer than Red Heart. I've never knit an afghan from this yarn, but I wonder if they hold up to lots of use. Anyone have an experience?
Also, I'm no expert on Lion Brand Wool Ease, but that and Encore seem nearly identical to me; although the colorways are very different. Anyone have any inside scoop on that?


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.