Thursday, March 09, 2006

Knitalong and Contest



Have you seen Polly's Mountain Stream scarf??? It's lovely! She used a single skein of Douceur et Soie that Mary sent her in the unloved sock yarn swap. Perfect!

I finished blocking my third Mountain Stream scarf last weekend:



This one is quite a bit longer than the others I've knit. I used some wool/silk yarn from Blackberry Ridge and 5.5mm needles. The finished size is about 13 inches wide and 72 inches long.

I have to confess that each time I knit this pattern, I'm amazed at the magic of the Orenberg technique. Franklin recently described the technique as "pure genious" and I have absolutely no quarrel with that characterization. It truly is the simplicity that makes the technique so incredible. The Mountain Stream pattern is really not difficult to knit; I'd say it's the next step after Branching Out. And it really does take only one skein of Kidsilk Haze.

If you want give the scarf a try but feel like you need a little support, Margene and Miriam have joined forces and are hosting a Mountain Lace Knitalong. Join up and knit either the Mountain Stream scarf or Miriam's Mountain Peaks shawl. All the instructions are on the knitalong blog; just click on the link. (Miriam's shawl is not based on the Orenberg technique but it’s a wonderful triangle shawl.)

For those of you who join the Mountain Stream portion of the knitalong, I’m giving away three copies of the Mountain Stream pattern and all you have to do to win is answer the following question:

Who founded the Sundance Film Festival, which is held in Park City, Utah each year?

Send me an email with the answer in the body and the words “Mountain Stream contest” in the subject line. On Monday, I’ll choose the three winners at random from all correct entries and mail the patterns that afternoon. Good luck!

Encore vs Wool Ease

There were some wonderful comments left yesterday about the relative merits of Plymouth Encore yarn and Lion Brand Wool Ease. The consensus (with a couple of exceptions) seems to be that both pill, but Encore pills less. A couple of commentators indicated that Wool Ease also splits easily. Good to know. Thanks to everyone who left a comment; they’re all really helpful


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.