Thursday, May 25, 2006

The End of a Quest

Lilies of the Valley are probably my favorite flowers. When I was a kid, my grandmother lived on the edge of a forested area in Massachusetts (do forested areas still exist in Massachusetts??) and her yard was carpeted with them. I planted several in my front yard a few years ago when we pulled out the yucky junipers. But growing Lilies of the Valley is not quite so easy in the desert as it is in Massachusetts. The plants didn’t die, though, and in fact the foliage was quite nice. But I couldn’t get them to bloom.

Guess what happened this year?





The Lily of the Valley gods must be smiling down on me because I received this in the mail yesterday from Tine:



I’ve been absolutely coveting this book ever since I read an article about it in the Spring 2004 issue of Spin Off magazine. It’s chock full of fabulous patterns for hats, mittens, shawls, and socks . . . all using the Lilies of the Valley stitch pattern. The book is written in German but I can make out quite a bit of it. The inspiration for the patterns came from the Lilies of the Valley shawls knit by an amazing Estonian woman named Edith Haller.

You can find more information about the book here. But once you read about it, you’ll want one too.

Consider yourself warned.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.