Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Twinkle, Twinkle

Last year when I was going through my top-down hat phase, I knit a hat out of Rowan Calmer that had a star on the crown:



Quite a few people wrote and asked for the pattern but I’d only written some cryptic notes that I never had a chance to decipher. Well, there’s been a sudden onslaught of babies in my social circle and I’m thinking a baby version of the star hat might be in my knitting future. Unfortunately, I have to start from scratch since I can’t even find the notes now.

I originally got the idea for the hat when I was browsing some old doily patterns I found on the Web. Although I bookmarked the page, it appears the site has now been deleted. So yesterday I used the "Way Back Machine" to find this archived copy of the pattern upon which I based the hat crown. There's a photo of the doily here.

Because I want just the star, and not the extra lace work around the star at the point, it will be necessary to re-write the doily pattern to eliminate the extra lace. After a bit of trial and error, here’s what I’ve come up with:

Rnds 1-16: follow the doily pattern as written
Rnd 17: *yo, k5, yo, k2, k2tog; repeat from * to end of round
Rnd 18: knit
Rnd 19: *yo, k7, yo, k1, k2tog; repeat from * to end of round
Rnd 20: knit
Rnd 21: *yo, k9, yo, k2tog; repeat from * to end of round

I should have 77 stitches at this point. For a hat with a 16 inch circumference, it looks like I'll need to choose a yarn that gives me about 5 stitches to the inch. I guess I can always increase or decrease a few stitches to get where I need to be.

OK, I’m off to see if this works. Feel free to try it, too. I'll post my progress on Monday and then worry about working out the sides.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.