Sunday, July 16, 2006

Stick A Fork In It

The lace blob is done:

lacepoop

I think I set some kind of personal record knitting this shoulder shawl; 450 yards of laceweight merino in 2 days.

After I blocked the shawl, I got this inexplicable urge to knit something in worsted weight wool. Well, maybe it's not inexplicable given that in the last 4 weeks I've not knit with anything heavier than fingering weight yarn (i.e., 4 pairs of socks and a shoulder shawl). Because I need a baby gift, I grabbed a skein of wool I picked up at Jo-Ann out of curiosity and started a Star of the Day hat. I altered my own pattern by working only 5 points on the star instead of 7.

hat


As I type this, the hat is almost ready to be bound off. Worsted weight yarn knits up fast! And, I have to say, this particular yarn was extremely nice to knit with. It's called Tesoro and I was a little surprised to see it at Jo-Ann, a store I normally associate with crappy novelty and acrylic yarns.

The pros: The yarn is extremely smooth and soft with a nice hand. Plus, if the reviews on the Jo-Ann site are accurate, it won't felt so it's perfect for a baby item.
The cons: Comes only in yucky pastel shades (hate the pastel shades) and it's a bit pricey. I can get a 100g skein of Nature Spun worsted for almost the same price I paid for this 50 gram skein.

I have to admit I was intrigued by some of the reviews of this yarn that were posted on the Jo-Ann site. Do you really think a manufacturer should be required to include information on the ball band that specifically says, "This Yarn Will Not Felt"??


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.