Thursday, August 17, 2006

Diverted

I’ve set my Norwegian mitten aside for the time being since I really need a portable project and it doesn’t fit the bill right now. But, instead of finishing up any number of perfectly portable projects that are already on the needles, I started something new.

I recently subscribed to Interweave Knits, having previously been content to purchase individual copies at my LYS. But, IK is running a killer deal–5 issues for less than $20–so I succumbed. My last experience with the IK subscription service was less than pleasant, but this time my first issue arrived very quickly. Wonder if they’re using a different company to handle subscriptions.

Anyway, I was immediately attracted to the Swallowtail Shawl because the design incorporates the Lily of the Valley stitch, one of my favorites. It’s a fast knit; I cast on last night and have already completed 10 repeats of the Budding Lace pattern.

Picture 175

A couple of observations about this pattern. The transition from the Budding Lace pattern to the Lily of the Valley pattern looks somewhat awkward to me. Anyone else think that? Or does it just appear that way in the photo? I might add a row of eyelets or something since the two designs don't appear to flow into each other anyway.

Second, I didn’t use the provisional cast-on method to begin my shawl. Although I love that method when the first pattern repeat begins with many stitches, like some of the top-down Faroese shawls in Myrna Stahman’s excellent book, I don’t think it’s really necessary for this shawl. Instead, I cast on 5 stitches, knit 2 rows, then worked the following two rows:
k2, yo, k1, yo, k2
k2, p3, k2
This gave me the required 7 stitches to begin the Budding Lace chart and it was considerably easier.

Picture 176

It looks fine to me. But what do I know.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.