Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Variations On A Theme

I don't intend to turn this into a "confessional" post, but suffice to say I've been buying a lot of yarn and starting a lot of projects lately. The finishing part . . . well . . . not so much.

But I did complete my contribution to this years' Utah Legal Aid Society Fundraiser. It's a square lap blanket based on my Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl pattern. I've already submitted it to the organizers of the fundraiser but I forgot to take a finished photo. So all I have is this crappy photo of the blocking stage.

Picture 220

It was a fairly fast knit (on size U.S. #11 needles) and took 6 skeins of Berroco Mohair Classic to complete. Unfortunately, I only had 5 skeins of Berroco Mohair Classic. And that's where the uncontrollable stash came in handy. I just dove into the stash and came up with a nice, contrasting shade of yarn with exactly the same fiber composition and exactly 1/2 the weight of the Mohair Classic. So I just doubled it and used it for the bind-off row.

It's a nice size, about 50 inches across on each side. Do you think I should call it a "lap blanket" or is that too old-fashioned? My friend suggested that calling it a "throw" would help with the bidding during the auction. Thoughts?

I also finally uploaded a photo of the Forest Canopy Shawl that I knit from lace-weight yarn. I used one skein of Knit Picks Shadow and worked Rows 1-8 of the Body Pattern until I had 259 stitches on the needle.

Picture 223

Oh, and check this out. Kate has already finished her Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl! Brenda cast on for hers; and Teresa revealed that she was my test knitter. Take a peek at her finished shawl; it's gorgeous.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.