Tuesday, October 24, 2006

In Which I Describe How I Knit Fetching Pair #2

Here's my second pair of Fetching fingerless mitts:

Picture 289

Pattern: Fetching by Cheryl Niamath
Yarn: one skein, Queensland Collection Kathmandu (merino, silk, & cashmere)
Needles: 4mm double points
Pattern Alterations: I began knitting this pair on the 45 stitches called for in the pattern and immediately realized the gloves would be waaaaay too big. So I frogged and restarted with just 35 stitches. Perfect. I knit the cuff for 18 rounds, the same as the pattern suggests, but I set up the thumb opening by knitting only 5 stitches onto the waste yarn. Like I did with my first, 45-stitch pair, I centered the thumb over the 4x1 ribbing cuff by knitting the first two stitches of the left glove, inserting the waste yarn, and then completing the round. For the right glove, I inserted the waste yarn at the end of the round, but again I centered it over the 4x1 rib. After placing the waste yarn, I worked 6 rounds in the 4x1 rib, worked a cable, knit 5 rounds in 4x1 rib, worked a second cable, knit 3 rounds in 4x1 rib, then bound off all stitches in purl. For the thumb, I picked up 4 stitches above, 5 below, and 3 at each side. I knit the thumb for 8 rounds and then bound off in purl.

I adore this second pair and have been wearing them almost nonstop. The yarn is soft and warm and very fluffy. Does anyone know if it's exactly the same yarn as Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed, 'cause it sure seems like the same yarn.

More Finished Forest Canopy Shawls


The owner of my LYS, Suzette, finished her Forest Canopy Shawl quite a few weeks ago but I never uploaded a photo. Here it is:

Picture 248

She used Zephyr yarn in a beautiful apricot colorway. I love the lace-weight version.

Donna sent me a photo of her completed shawl:

DonnaShawl

She used her own handspun; some of the first she's ever spun! Awesome.

And Eileen (one of my SnB grrls) finished her shawl too. She's got photos on her blog. It's gorgeous in person; the Wool in the Woods yarn was a wonderful choice.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.