Thursday, October 12, 2006

In Which I Think Too Much About Destashing

I've been thinking some more about why I seem to have such an enormous stash and I think I've reached a unilateral consensus on the issue.

Although I am the child of Depression-era parents (who, to this day, have difficulty throwing away even the most useless things), I don’t stash yarn because I fear a fiery fibery Apocalypse or the arrival of a day when I won’t be able to afford to buy even a single skein of Red Heart Shetland Chunky from Smiley's.

Picture 276
[Random photo of my current mindless knitting project posing with my still-fabulous flowers.]

Instead, I’ve come to the conclusion that I stash yarn for two main reasons:

1. I love to shop but, at the same time, I hate to shop. In other words, I’m a browser. I absolutely, positively hate to go shopping when I need something. And, I’m basically indecisive by nature so I fear I would never knit anything if I bought yarn on a project-by-project basis. I would simply wander aimlessly from yarn shop to yarn shop, seized up with all the possibilities. Having a healthy stash eliminates the panic of finding myself projectless and thrown into the distasteful situation of actually needing to go to the yarn store.

2. I love yarn . . . all yarn. Well, okay, almost all yarn. Think about it. Every skein holds such promise. How will it look knit up? What will the colors look like in garter stitch, stockinette, double moss, felted? What needle is best for this fiber? I can't stop myself from endlessly pondering the possibilities hidden inside each luscious skein. This is the main reason why I still haven't listed any of the yarns I set aside on the DeStash blog. I just need a little more time to exorcise the demons.

That's my stashing story, and I'm sticking to it.

So, why do you stash yarn? Or not.


Who's linking here?
|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.